A central component to CONNECT’s work is advancing the passenger rail line along the Baton Rouge to New Orleans corridor.
OUR MAIN GOAL IS TO ADVOCATE FOR PASSENGER RAIL CONNECTING THE BATON ROUGE AND NEW ORLEANS SUPER-REGION
While other components of the Policy Platform seek to achieve the incremental steps needed to ensure this project is successful and accessible for all residents, maintaining dialogue, conducting research, exploring funding options and pursuing policy around the project is essential.
CONNECT was instrumental in passing legislation in the 2010 Legislative session- Act #858 – which created the Louisiana Super Region Rail Authority, giving authority to this new entity to operate regional rail. To assist the Rail Authority in its work, CONNECT facilitated a partnership between the New Orleans Regional Planning Commission, Capital Region Planning Commission and Baton Rouge Area Foundation to fund a Rail Strategic Plan that addresses the feasibility of the project and lays out next steps.
- Support early work of the Louisiana Super Region Rail Authority to advance incremental steps for rail projects
- Facilitate discussions and partnerships between Baton Rouge and New Orleans MPOs to implement the Strategic Rail Plan
- Inform and engage BRAC/GNO Inc. Super Regional Committee about the progress of rail
- Disseminate rail strategic plans; support local station area to ensure housing and transit connections
- Support efforts for job access through expanded transit routes, regional bus service, van pools and green ride program
- Ensure multi-modal connectivity (including connection to airports) is consistently considered in regional planning
- Ongoing base-building and education about the importance of regional connectivity to nonprofits, advocates, business and political leaders